Wednesday 26 October 2011

Selah

The word ’selah‘ is used in Psalm 73 times and in Habakkuk is used 3 time. Many a time when i come across this word ’selah', there isn't much attention or meditation on it. My understanding of this word is simply a musical term used in psalm. Which i'm not wrong.

With some search on the meaning, selah notes a break in the song and as such is similar to the word Amen in that it stresses the important of preceding passage. Another explanation of selah(celah) is from the primary hebrew root word(calah), which literally means "to hang' and by implication to measure(weight).

Pause (selah) in psalm express the stillness of meeting God in worship. Did I pause and wait, no haste, no hurry in coming to commune with God. Where are the “selah”, the pause for praise and adoration in my live?
I'm so much of a russian (rush in, rush out). Being rushian cause me not being able to take notice of God's work in my life or even my time with him can be affected.
  
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;I will be exalted among the nations,I will be exalted in the earth.”

11 The LORD Almighty is with us;the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah  Psalm 46:10-11

Ps 46:10 the call to be still follow after verse about roaring, raging, moving, shaking and swelling.How one can be still in the midst of all these unless one take time to pause and commune with God, trusting in his sovereignty. However, one may not meet with roaring, raging, moving, shaking and swelling all the time. How about in the mundane of every day life? How can i see God and worship Him unless i do take time and pause  
and commune with Him.

Lord, help me to learn how to selah. that i may know you and see you in my daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment